Call us  099006 19622

#1561/1 2nd Floor East End Main Road, Jaynagar 9th block, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560069

Do I Need to See a Urogynecologist?


Do you have trouble with an overactive bladder (maybe you go to the bathroom every hour)? Do you lose control of your bladder, peeing when you don’t want to? Do you feel pressure in your pelvis or feel like your vagina, bladder, uterus, or rectum has dropped, causing a bulge or pressure?


The most important thing you can do is to talk to your provider. It can feel intimidating or even embarrassing to admit you’re having issues with incontinence or pelvic pain. The important thing to remember is that it’s not a normal part of aging, nor is it a normal part of menopause. It’s not something you should just accept and deal with alone. Discuss your symptoms and the issues you’re having with your primary care provider first. They can help refer you to an urogynecologist for specialized care and additional expertise


Your urogynecologist will work with you to establish a custom treatment plan, dependent on your symptoms and condition. This could include non-surgical or surgical treatments.

Non-Surgical Treatment

Non-surgical treatments your urogynecologist may recommend could include any of these:

  • Kegel exercises, also called pelvic floor muscle training exercises
  • Referral to a pelvic floor physical therapist
  • Injections for bladder control problems
  • Medication
  • Vaginal pessary (A plastic device used to treat some types of prolapse and/or improve bladder control. Your doctor fits you for a pessary and will instruct you on how to care for it.)

Surgical Treatment

If your specialist recommends surgery, it may involve any of the following:

  • Rebuilding pelvic floor support
  • Repairing any prolapse
  • May include removal of the uterus (hysterectomy)
  • Mesh midurethral sling for urinary leakage
  • Damage repair for anal or sphincter muscles

Your specialist may also recommend a combination of treatments for your symptoms/condition.

WhatsApp chat